Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Didn't you know?

It may seem coincidental seeing as it's Black History Month, but I have a new favorite word....

griot
n.
A storyteller in western Africa who perpetuates the oral tradition and history of a village or family.

I don't know any griots but I gotta say I really wish I did. Reading Head, Body, Legs gives me a bit of a taste.
Won-Lyn Paye and Margaret H. Lippert collaborated on it and a picture book entitled Mrs. Chicken And The Hungry Crocodile too. It was also illustrated by Julie Paschkis. AND it's a Charlotte Zolotow Award book.
From my lips to your ears, both are fabuloso books certain to bring a smile to your face and the sweet taste of Liberia to your palate. Especially if you really wish you knew a griot.


http://www.africabookcentre.com/ (thanks for the image!)

Need another dose of multiculturalism? Head over to Multiculturalism Rocks! http://nathaliemvondo.wordpress.com

4 comments:

  1. A griot, hmmmm, good word!! Thanks for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book cover looks pretty cool - I'll have to check it out the next time I'm at the library :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leslie, you got me sooo excited with "Griot" and all these books, I didn't know about them. Added to my to-read list! And thanks for mentioning MR! Have you ever seen a Black person blush? :D

    A famous griot is Adama Dramé. He plays drums, and I believe he has several YouTube videos. There is also Salif Keita, who is well known worldwide. :)

    Last but not least, here is a picture of griots and some of their traditional musical instruments: http://www.adem.ch/griots08/meydah.html

    I hope that you have a wonderful day!
    PS: thank you for inviting me to the Purpley party! It was fun fun! :)

    ReplyDelete