Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's In A Name?

Confession. I love names. I mean I REEEEEALLY love names. Friends and family have learned to proceed with caution when announcing an attempt to name a baby or any four-legged friend for that matter. My overzealous naming habit does wonders for my writing but it isn't nearly as helpful in trying to make friends and influence people. I don't know what it is but - it is.
A couple of weeks ago while I was swimming at the community pool with the kids, I met a precocious almost five-year-old named Calvin. I couldn't have named him any better myself if I'd tried. What a character. He was kinda like a Calvin and Hobbs Calvin, only better. "I'm open! I'm open!" he'd call and nearly cannonball right on your head if you weren't carefully watching. My kids and I desperately wanted to take him home with me but his mom wouldn't hear of it. Understandably so.
A couple of weeks prior to my meeting Calvin, my niece introduced me to Mrs. Pickleman, her old high school English teacher, from afar. She was definitely a "Mrs. Pickleman". I can't imagine their aren't at least a dozen stories already told referring to Mrs. Pickleman. What a fantastic name. Just typing the words "Mrs. Pickleman" makes me giggle so you can only imagine what saying the name aloud does for me. I think if I had to do it all over again, I'd like to be Mrs. Pickleman. At least for a day. Aaahhhhh names....

3 comments:

  1. So, out of all the books you've read, what is your favorite character's name? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wilfred Gordon MacDonald Partridge. Love, love, love him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a classmate in HS named Meryl Gross, boy did she catch flack.

    My last name is Cooney, so when I was young, I had the "Cooney Bug". I DIDN'T like that.

    I work for a moderately retarded woman, and her last name is Coffin. I don't think she minds.

    My daughter's name is Kali (pronounced like Sally) and my brother in law kind of laughed at it when I suggested I might name my unborn daughter that. He said "Kali - like in Kalifornia?" I didn't like him much then, not much has changed 4 years later!! Of course, I had to use a different kind of spelling for her middle name, Renay.

    Had a friend, Vicki, back home in LI, her middle name is Regina. She DID NOT like that. I LMAO!!!!

    ReplyDelete